Thursday, June 18, 2009

A lesson of Gran Torino

I just got done watching Gran Torino with Brett. I’m telling you what. There is nothing better than good chili, a Smithwicks, and a good movie. The movie was fucking amazing.

Brett had a problem with all the racial slurs that were thrown around especially at the beginning. Growing up around that, it didn’t bother me as much. Pretty much it’s a story of a old grumpy and lonely man who just lost his wife and is at odds with his kids. He is one of the last white people left in his neighborhood and is grumpy about that to. He develops a friendship with a neighbor kid who tried to steal his car. He teaches the kid to have a spine and some important life lessons and the kid and his family teach him about living. Being an old Korean war vet he is haunted by the killings. You think he will have no problem with more. He chooses not to kill, but secures a way to keep his neighbors safe. I cried at the end and the movie was hard to watch at times. Why, because the character being a lifetime smoker, was dying of cancer and coughing up blood. This soon after loosing my grandpa to that it struck close to home. It was a good movie and I’m still crying a bit.

Now on to happier things. I made chili today which is awesome. Happy Birthday Tokyo Cowgirl! If you were here I would make you a cake. ^_^

I got a new potato peeler and managed to cut my finger on it when I was cleaning it. I’d say it works. I burnt my hand when hot tomato sauce splashed up on it. I”m becoming a klutz in the kitchen. I need more practice. Laters! Savvy?

-Aislin

No comments:

Post a Comment